(7:00 p.m. – 7:05 p.m., all times Pacific and approximate)
Those who have given me their Skype name will be included in my “group call.” If you’d like to be added, please let me know as early as possible, and if you are having problems with the group call, please send me an SOS on Facebook or at email@example.com .
The format we will use is included below, if you’d like to follow-along in a new window/tab or print this out for your reference. Please feel free to participate even if you have not had a chance to do the readings yet. It may whet your appetite and we may benefit from your insights. Come and go as you please or need to!
(7:00 – 7:10)
While everyone is answering the group call, let’s introduce any new faces and get caught up. 🙂
(7:10 – 7:15)
Let us pray together: Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.
St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, pray for us.
Reading Recap and Discussion
Based on our — finally-successful! — discussion of Chapter 1 last week — and my own family/prep time constraints — I think that we should a) group the summarization of each section of the reading with the discussion of that section, and b) keep the discussion more free-form, with fewer prompts ginned-up ahead of time. Let’s see how this works! 🙂
(7:15 – 8:20)
- The “Patriarchs” covers the 300-year period from 2000 – 1700 B.C. (encompassing approximately the time of Job and the writing of the Code of Hammurabi), beginning in the polytheistic, rival city-states of Mesopotamia. Genesis Chapters 12 through 50.
- Act 1: Abraham and a New Start: God calls Abram. God’s makes a three-fold covenant with Abraham.
- Act 2: Isaac and the Seed of Abraham: The binding of Isaac.
- Act 3: Jacob, the Deceiver: Jacob wrestles with God, name changed to Israel.
- Act 4: Joseph, the Favored Son: Joseph sold into slavery. Jacob’s family moves to Egypt.
- What is the most important/interesting thing each of us is taking-away from this week’s study and discussion?
Closing Prayer and Hang-up
(8:25 – 8:30)
Thanks be to God.
Our Father…, Hail Mary…, Glory Be…
Up in two weeks (31 July 2012): Chapter 3 (“Egypt and Exodus”)