(7:00 p.m. – 7:05 p.m., all times Pacific and approximate)
Those who have given me their Skype name will be included in my “group call.” If you’d like to be added, please let me know as early as possible, and if you are having problems with the group call, please send me an SOS on Facebook or at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The format we will use is included below, if you’d like to follow-along in a new window/tab or print this out for your reference. Please feel free to participate even if you have not had a chance to do the readings yet. It may whet your appetite and we may benefit from your insights. Come and go as you please or need to!
(7:00 – 7:10)
While everyone is answering the group call, let’s introduce any new faces and get caught up. 🙂
(7:10 – 7:15)
Let us pray together: Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.
St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, pray for us.
Reading Recap and Discussion
(7:15 – 8:20)
- “Egypt and Exodus” covers the nation made of the descendants of Jacob/Israel’s 12 sons during the 420-year period from 1700 – 1280 B.C. (encompassing approximately the time of the first urban civilization in China and the first writing in Greek; Leviticus was also written at this time). The source texts are Exodus and some of Numbers.
- Act 1: The Call of Moses: Slavery in Egypt. Moses and the burning bush.
- Act 2: Signs and Wonders: The ten plagues on Egypt. Exodus/the first Passover (1280 B.C.)
- Act 3: Sinai Covenant: The crossing of the Red Sea. Manna from Heaven. God’s covenant with Moses (Mt. Sinai).
- Act 4: Rival Loyalties: The sin of the golden calf. The Tabernacle. The Levitical priesthood. 12 spies sent out.
- What is the most important/interesting thing each of us is taking-away from this week’s study and discussion?
Closing Prayer and Hang-up
(8:25 – 8:30)
Thanks be to God.
Our Father…, Hail Mary…, Glory Be…
Up next week (7 August 2012): Chapter 4 (“Desert Wanderings”)