We’re a couple of months into the Year of Faith now; are you in need of a kick-start or a re-start? Here’s an excellent resource! Even better, though it appears that Aquinas and More no longer carries it, Catholic Answers still does, and it is currently on sale for $8.95 (regularly $39.95)!
Title: Reasons for Our Hope: A Bible Study on the Gospel of Luke ($39.95)
Author: (Sr.) Rosalind Moss
Publisher (Date): Catholic Answers (2007)
- This is a thorough and practical study, suitable for adults with any level of understanding or time commitment. Even in its more basic content, it serves as a “refresher” and a prod to evangelize others. I’ve browsed and used a number of Bible studies, and this is one of the best that I’ve seen!
- It carries an imprimatur from San Diego Bishop Robert Brom, and references the RSV-CE and The Catechism of the Catholic Church.
- Each of the 36 chronological chapters has teaching with fill-in-the-blanks, and “personal” and “bonus” exercises (with an answer key!).
- It incorporates treasures from our Church tradition, including the Church calendar (especially Holy Week), and traditional prayers and devotions (especially the Rosary).
- It has a number of very useful “extras,” including detailed suggestions for group use (including prayers for Bible study that individuals may well use, too), thorough endnotes and bibliography, and a plan for reading and journaling the Bible for future study.
- The spiral-bound softcover itself is spacious, allowing much room for notes, and is printed in attractive and clear type. Each of the chapters is illustrated by classic-style line drawings.
What I could have done without:
- It’s a matter of personal taste, but I do prefer that books do not have a “conversation” Q &A format, as this does.
Bottom line: Highly recommended! Sr. Rosalind (who was still working as a laywoman at Catholic Answers when she created this study) is a Catholic convert from Judaism (via Protestantism), and this study is a perfect example of the eye such a journey can develop; Sister’s work reminds us that “every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old” (Matthew 13:52). She explains in the first chapter that she chose the Gospel of Luke for her study because a friend suggested to her that it is “Mary’s Gospel,” containing many of the most beautiful accounts of Jesus’ life that we meditate on in the Rosary (and, I add, in the Liturgy of the Hours!).
- Reasons for Our Hope DVD ($39.95)
- The Bible (RSV-CE) (free)
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) (free)
*** Many thanks to Aquinas and More Catholic Goods for providing a review copy to me.