(7:00 p.m. – 7:05 p.m., all times Pacific and approximate)
Those who have given me their Skype name will be included in my “group call.” If you’d like to be added, please let me know as early as possible, and if you are having problems with the group call, please send me an SOS on Facebook or at email@example.com .
The format we will use is included below, if you’d like to follow-along in a new window/tab or print this out for your reference. Please feel free to participate even if you have not had a chance to do the readings yet. It may whet your appetite and we may benefit from your insights. Come and go as you please or need to!
(7:00 – 7:10)
While everyone is answering the group call, let’s introduce any new faces and get caught up. 🙂
(7:10 – 7:15)
Let us pray together: Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.
St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, pray for us.
Reading Recap and Discussion
(7:15 – 8:20)
- Previously: We covered the Early World, Patriarchs, Egypt and Exodus, and Desert Wanderings. When our discussion left-off, the Israelites were about to enter the Promised Land.
- “Conquest and Judges” covers the nation of Israel during the first 190 years of its entrance into the Promised Land of Canaan (1240 – 1050 B.C.). The source texts are Joshua, Judges, and 1 Samuel; the events in the book of Ruth also take place during this time.
- Act 1: Joshua: Israel crosses the Jordan. The fall of Jericho. Covenant renewal under Joshua. Southern and Northern campaigns. Rest. Tribal allotment.
- Act 2: Judges: 12 judges (including Deborah, Gideon, Jephthah, and Samson). Sin cycle.
- What is the most important/interesting thing each of us is taking-away from this week’s study and discussion?
Closing Prayer and Hang-up
(8:25 – 8:30)
Thanks be to God.
Our Father…, Hail Mary…, Glory Be…
Up next week (9 October 2012): Chapter 6 (“Royal Kingdom”). Current schedule here.